Connectors: addition and contrast

Rewrite the sentences using the word in brackets. Do not change the meaning: 

1 Carol is a dedicated person and she's got a great sense of humour. (Besides)

2 My sister and I have a good relationship although our lifestyles are very different. (in spite of)

3 I'd like to move out but I can't afford it. (Although)

4 I believe in honesty. However, I'm not telling my wife that that dress doesn't suit her. (Although)

5 Young people need to enjoy freedom. They also need to  get used to life in the real world. (As well as)

6 Although they have broken up, Kate and Curl remain good friends. (Despite)

7 I was rather upset but I decided not to say anything. (In spite of)

8 She apologised for her behaviour. Besides, she gave him a little present.
(also)

9 Robert decided to leave home in spite of the extra cost. (but)

10 Many young people prefer to stay  at home now. Moreover, their parents encourage them to do so. (what's more)

11 Sue decided to buy a flat despite the expensive price. (in spite of the fact)

12 Tim arrived late and he couldn't stay for the whole party. (besides)

13 We went ahead with our plans in spite of the danger. (although)

14 The food at the restaurant was terrible. Furthermore, it was really expensive. (too)

15 Helen agreed to go the wedding although she was in poor health. (despite)

16 Exercise is very healthy for the body. In addition, it helps you feel calm and relaxed. (also)

17 I don't own a car. What's more, I haven't got a driving licence. (Besides)

18 Emma wants to move out of her parents' house but she is anxious about doing all by herself. (Yet)

19 My father is quite clever. In addition, he has got a great sense of humour. (Moreover)

20 My father is quite clever. In addition, he has got a great sense of humour. (too)

21 My father is quite clever. In addition, he has got a great sense of humour. (as well)

22 My father is quite clever. In addition, he has got a great sense of humour. (as well as)

23 My father is quite clever. In addition, he has got a great sense of humour. (Besides)

24 My father is quite clever. In addition, he has got a great sense of humour. (Besides)

25 We don't see each other very often but we keep in touch by phone. (Nevertheless)

26 I went to the party despite my mother's warning. (in spite of )

27 I went to the party despite my mother's warning. (although )

28  We talked about old problems and some new issues too.  (as well as)

29 We talked about old problems and some new issues too. (besides)

30  My son and I get along very well but we are very different. (although)



ANSWER KEY




1 Carol is a dedicated person. Besides, she's got a great sense of humour. (Besides)

2 My sister and I have a good relationship in spite of  our different lifestyles. (in spite of)

3 I'd like to move out although I can't afford it. (Although)

4 Although I believe in honesty, I'm not telling my wife that that dress doesn't suit her. (Although)

5 Young people need to enjoy freedom as well as getting  used to life in the real world. (As well as)

6 Despite breaking  up, Kate and Curl remain good friends. (Despite)

7 In spite of being  upset,  I decided not to say anything. (In spite of)

8 She apologised for her behaviour. She also  gave him a little present.
(also)

9 It was an extra cost but Robert decided to leave home. (but)

10 Many young people prefer to stay  at home now. What's more, their parents encourage them to do so. (what's more)

11 Sue decided to buy a flat despite the expensive price. (in spite of the fact)

12 Besides  arriving late, Tim couldn't stay for the whole party. (besides)

13 We went ahead with our plans although it was  dangerous. (although)

14 The food at the restaurant was terrible. It was really expensive too. (too)

15 Helen agreed to go the wedding despite her poor health. (despite)

16 Exercise is very healthy for the body. It also helps you feel calm and relaxed. (also)

17 I don't own a car. Besides  I haven't got a driving licence. (Besides)

18 Emma wants to move out of her parents' house yet she is anxious about doing all by herself. (Yet)

19 My father is quite clever. Moreover, he has got a great sense of humour. (Moreover)

20 My father is quite clever. He has got a great sense of humour too. (too)

21 My father is quite clever. He has got a great sense of humour as well. (as well)

22 My father is quite clever as well as having a great sense of humour. (as well as)

23 My father is quite clever. Besides,  he has got a great sense of humour. (Besides)

24 My father is quite clever besides having a great sense of humour. (Besides)

25 We don't see each other very often. Nevertheless,  we keep in touch by phone. (Nevertheless)

26 I went to the party in spite of my mother's warning. (in spite of )

27 I went to the party although my mother gave me a warning. (although )

28  We talked about old problems as well as some new issues.  (as well as)

29 We talked about old problems besides some new issues. (besides)

30  My son and I get along very well although we are very different. (although)

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

gerund vs infinitive

Rewrite using relative pronouns

SPECIFIC REPORTING VERBS