Rewrite using relative pronouns

ACTIVITY 1

1 I'm not mad about modern history. We've been studying it all year. (which)
  I'm not mad about modern history, which we've been studying  all year. 

2 The teacher teaches us biology. I like him best. (who)

3 I'll never forget the day. I went to school for the first time then. (when)

4 Students will fail. Their projects aren't done by tomorrow. (whose)

5 Here's a picture of Oxford University. I hope to study there one day. (where)

6 Look at all the material. We have to revise it for the test! (that)

7 I've spoken to Joel. He's planning the class party. (who)


ACTIVITY 2

STUDENTS OFTEN COMPLAIN, BUT ARE THEIR LIVES REALLY SO HARD? IN ONE US HIGH SCHOOL, FIVE TEACHERS DECIDED TO FIND OUT. 

Combine the sentences below using relative pronouns to complete the story. Make any necessary changes. 

1 The teachers chose a day. They would all volunteer to become students then.

2 They found that the schoolbags were very heavy. They had to carry them.

3 The chairs were hard and uncomfortable. They sat on them.

4 The lunch break was much too short. They were supposed to eat and relax then.

5 It was difficult to focus during the lessons. The lessons weren't always interesting.

6 The teachers realised that students were often right. The students complained.

7 The five teachers say they've learned a lesson. They won't forget it!


ACTIVITY 3: Combine the two sentences using a relative pronoun.

1 My friend goes to a school. He can choose most of the subjects he wants to study there.

2 The maths teacher is a marathon runner. His daughter is in my class.

3 Do you remember the day? The teacher cancelled the lesson then.

4 I have to make some important decisions. They will affect my future.

5 This course is very challenging. It requires many hours of studying.

6 My parents are very strict. They don't allow me to go out on school nights.

7 Our website is the place. You can get help with your homework there.

8 Since last term, my marks have improved. I had harder classes since then. 

9 The family reunion was successful. I met all of my cousins there.

10 Tokyo is going to host the 2020 Olympic Games. It is an enormous city.

11 Indian food can be very spicy. It uses many unusual spices.

12 Maria won first prize in the art competition. She spent weeks working on her painting.

13 My favourite jacket is missing. You borrowed it.

14 I'll never forget the holiday. We rented a house on the beach then.

15 Paul gave a fascinating talk on holistic medicine. He lectures regularly. 

16 The local animal shelter is having a pet adoption day. Its volunteers are dedicated individuals.  


ANSWER KEY 

ACTIVITY 1

1 I'm not mad about modern history. We've been studying it all year. (which)
  I'm not mad about modern history, which we've been studying  all year. 

2 The teacher who I like best teaches us biology.

3 I'll never forget the day when  I went to school for the first time.

4 Students whose projects aren't done by tomorrow will fail.

5 Here's a picture of Oxford University, where I hope to study one day.

6 Look at all the material that we have to revise  for the test!

7 I've spoken to Joel, who is planning the class party.

ACTIVITY 2

STUDENTS OFTEN COMPLAIN, BUT ARE THEIR LIVES REALLY SO HARD? IN ONE US HIGH SCHOOL, FIVE TEACHERS DECIDED TO FIND OUT. 

Combine the sentences below using relative pronouns to complete the story. Make any necessary changes. 

1 The teachers chose a day when they would all volunteer to become students.

2 They found that the schoolbags that they had to carry were very heavy.

3 The chairs which they sat on were hard and uncomfortable.

4 The lunch break, when hey were supposed to eat and relax, was much too short.

5 It was difficult to focus during the lessons, which weren't always interesting.

6 The teachers realized that students who complained were often right. complained.


ACTIVITY 3: Combine the two sentences using a relative pronoun.

1 My friend goes to a school where he can choose most of the subjects he wants to study.

2 The maths teacher, whose daughter is in my class, is a marathon runner

3 Do you remember the day when the teacher cancelled the lesson?

4 I have to make some important decisions which will affect my future.

5 This course, which requires many hours of studying, is very challenging.

6 My parents, who don't allow me to go out on school nights, are very strict.

7 Our website is the place where you can get help with your homework.

8 Since last term, when I had harder classes, my marks have improved.

9 The family reunion, where  I met all of my cousins, was successful.

10 Tokyo, which  is an enormous city, is going to host the 2020 Olympic Games.

11 Indian food, which  uses many unusual spices, can be very spicy.

12 Maria, who spent weeks working on her painting, won first prize in the art competition.

13 My favourite jacket, which you borrowed, is missing.

14 I'll never forget the holiday when  we rented a house on the beach.

15 Paul, who lectures regularly,  gave a fascinating talk on holistic medicine.

16 The local animal shelter, whose volunteers are dedicated individuals, is having a pet adoption day.





  
 

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

gerund vs infinitive

SPECIFIC REPORTING VERBS